The Helotes Fire Department has started Annual Fire Hydrant Testing in the City of Helotes. Residents should be aware of the following:
- The Helotes Fire Department performs fire hydrant testing annually to ensure that every hydrant has sufficient water flow for residential firefighting operations.
- The 2020 hydrant testing has been delayed since March due to COVID-19.
- The testing takes from 1-5 minutes for each hydrant. A good fire hydrant will flow about 1,000 to 1,500 gallons of water per minute.
- There is the potential for water to go over curbs and into adjacent yards.
- There is the potential for damage to landscaping, however, the department will try to take precautions to avoid it.
- Fire Code requires no foliage or landscaping closer than 36” (3 feet) around the entire circumference of a fire hydrant, this includes having mulch or stones around the base of a hydrant.
- The Fire Department will not be responsible for landscaping damage that results from failure of residents to be in compliance with the Fire Code.
For more information, please feel free to call the Helotes Fire Department at 210-695-3572 and the team will be happy to answer any questions!